Friday 23 December 2011
The best of Geelong Food & Wine in one spot - with a few famous friends
The vibrant food and wine culture of the Greater Geelong region will be front and centre over the weekend of March 10-11 2012 with the staging of the inaugural Geelong Food and Wine Show.
Shining the limelight onto the region will be celebrity chef ambassador Melbourne boy-done-good George Calombaris plus dessert king Adriano Zumbo and the surfing chef Ben O'Donoghue.
Over the two days, Deakin Waterfront Campus will be transformed into a marketplace of chefs, providors and winemakers. More than 80 exhibitors will be presenting their produce, with a series Masterclasses run by George, Adriano and Ben, as well as local chefs, cheese makers and winemakers.
The Geelong Food and Wine show is part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival, and acknowledges the importance of produce from the Geelong region to Melbourne's food and wine culture. The Geelong region, stretching across the Bellarine, Moorabool Valley, Surf Coast, Otways and Western Victoria regions, is home to some of Victoria's most revered wine and produce.
The show is also a great opportunity to sample the talent on flow with the booming local restaurant industry in one spot.
And no Geelong event would be complete without the city's favourite footy players, so expect to see some familiar faces cooking up a storm over the weekend.
Highlights of the program include:
• Masterclasses with George Calombaris, Adriano Zumbo, and Ben O'Donoghue using local produce
• Exclusive High Tea with Adriano Zumbo
• Celebrity Cook-off with Ben O'Donoghue and Geelong Football Club players
• The ultimate cheese experience showcasing the breadth of cheesemaking in the region
• Wine appreciation classes hosted by local winemakers
• Tasting from more than 80 regional producers, wineries and restaurateurs
The event is being supported by the City of Greater Geelong and Geelong Otway Tourism.
A website with full program details will be live in January 2012.